I’m sticking with the Black Friday game plan I laid out in last year’s post. It will still work for me this year, though the date falls a few days earlier (Nov 23), only three weeks from Friday.
Other things I’m doing to prepare:
- Gathering wish lists from my teenagers so that if an item they want goes on sale I know to jump on it. My son wants the new Halo 4 game which comes out November 6. Being a brand new game it likely won’t be on sale but I’ll keep my eyes peeled for the best bonus offer with a game purchase. I’m also trying to figure out what to get for other family members and friends.
- I’m searching for discounted gift cards to buy, after figuring out which stores I’m likely to shop at. Check out Gift Card Granny, an aggregator for gift card buying and selling.Keep in mind that not all discounts are worth it. I already get a 5% discount from Target or Loew’s by using my store credit card. Kohls frequently offers a 15% discount to holders of its store credit card, so the deals below are nothing special.
- I’m also searching for gift cards to be given as gifts. Other options I’ll consider: shopping at a wholesale club where cards are typically discounted 3-5% off their face value, or using my REDCard at Target to purchase non-Target gift cards, like iTunes or restaurant cards, at a 5% discount.
- I’m adding wished-for CDs, DVDs and books to the swapping sites to see if I can pick up any used versions without spending money.
- I’m visiting the BFAds.net site daily, not only to see the latest Black Friday deals posted, but to see what other internet Hot Deals they’re featuring (updated year round).
What are you doing to get ready for the start of the holiday shopping season?