Given that gas prices have risen to over $4 per gallon in western NY, we’re all doing what we can to save gas or save money on gas purchases. My commute is 120 miles round trip so I need to take advantage of every opportunity to save.
- Gas prices in the Buffalo area tend to be anywhere from 10 to 20 cents higher than in Rochester. So I always make sure to fill up my tank in Rochester, unless I have an opportunity to stop on the Tonawanda Indian Reservation where prices can be 15 cents cheaper than in Rochester.
- I always check prices on Gas Buddy to make sure I’m paying the best rate in the area. If you can save 5 cents per gallon by driving an extra mile it’s probably worth it.
- My husband and I always try to car pool when we run errands. We’ll wait until we have a few places to go to make a trip 15 or 20 minutes away.
- We take advantage of deals offered by our credit cards to save on gas purchases. Last quarter our Chase Visa card gave us a 5% rebate on gas. This quarter our Fidelity Visa is offering the 5% bonus.
- We live near railroad tracks. Whenever we’re stopped at the tracks we turn the car off. Sometimes it can be five minutes or more, so there’s no reason to waste the gas.
How do you save on gas?